One of the most important, yet often overlooked, considerations, of effective leadership, is whether things are done in a timely, well – considered manner. A truism to be remembered is that procrastination is, perhaps, the biggest carcinogen of leading! There is no place for putting things often, in order to hopefully defer personal responsibility, because, in doing so, invariably, situations potentially worsen! Obstacles confronted early – on, are generally merely inconvenient challenges, and can usually, be overcome, and righted! On the other hand, when action is not taken immediately, the result is often similar to a festering wound, which continuously worsens, rots, and often creates chaos, and amputation! This article is, therefore devoted, to a discussion of why effectively leading, is very often, about TIMING!
1. Timely; task; think: When one fully considers challenges and obstacles, at, or close to their onset, he is able to carefully consider the causes, ramifications and contingencies. When the situation is not addressed in a timely manner, unfortunately, unprepared leaders will often take hasty actions, or behave in a myopic, panic – stricken manner! One should look at the bigger picture, determine a procedure and plan, and break it down into a variety of interim steps and/ or tasks, which need to be taken! Isn’t the result usually going to be better, when a leader has the ability to thoroughly think about the best approach, and not merely the expedient one?
2. Initiate; improve: Nothing positive occurs until/ unless, a leader initiates action! If this is done in a well – considered way, it should focus on the best way to improve the situation, and whether it requires merely some tweaking, or a full – fledged overhaul!
3. Method; movement: When one acts early, the situation is generally far less complicated and/ or dire! Therefore, one can consider the best method, his options/ alternatives, and the ramifications. The goal must be continuous, systematic, positive, forward movement!
4. Insight; instill; install: Will you be an insightful leader? Will you be able to instill a sense of wanting to belong, and positive improvements, about the organization? What steps will you install, to bring your plan, to fruition?
5. Needs – oriented; next: Will you focus on the priorities, concerns and needs of your constituents, and group, at an early stage? A true, needs – oriented leader, consistently plans his next steps, so he is prepared for contingencies, and is ready, willing and able, to take meaningful action!
6. Generate goodwill; growth: When a leader is prepared, and takes steps proactively and preemptively, he will generate goodwill, and garner respect! Proceeding this way, will create consistent growth, which is needed by stronger groups!
Don’t merely hold a position, or do something! Remember, quality leaders understand it’s all about TIMING!
Richard has owned businesses, been a COO, CEO, Director of Development, consultant, professionally run events, consulted to thousands of leaders, and conducted personal development seminars, for4 decades. Rich has written three books and thousands of articles. His company, PLAN2LEAD, LLC has an informative website: http://plan2lead.net and LIKE the Facebook page for leadership planning: http://facebook.com/Plan2lead